System security is a rough measure of how hazardous a particular system is. This guide details how system security affects the player's actions in that system.
In general, as system security decreases the hazards a player can face in that system increases but the reward for overcoming those hazards increases. To find the security of the system you are in, look in the upper-left hand corner of the EVE client. System security should be displayed along with other system-specific information. You can also use the map to browse system security of different systems (select security status under the Stars tab). Also, in general named systems (Yulai and Jita, for example) have >0.0 security status while number-letter systems (HED-PE and EC-P8R, for example) have 0.0 security status or lower.
The EVE client displays system security as a range of values from 0.0 to 1.0 with increments in tenths (i.e. 0.1, 0.2, etc.). In actuality, system security is a value from -1.0 to 1.0, with values being rounded to the nearest tenth and values lower than 0.0 being shown as 0.0 in the client.
In general, 0.0 systems are lawless. Commiting an act of aggression in 0.0 space does not cause the aggressor to be criminally flagged and does not cause the aggressor to lose security status. An exception to this rule are Empire 0.0 systems (such as Balas) that have an NPC empire as their sovreign.
Police Drones Edit
- 0.5 - 1.0: Police drones and sentry guns respond to players that are criminally flagged.
- 0.0 - 0.4: Sentry guns respond to players that are criminally flagged.
Pirate Drones Edit
In general, as system security decreases the bounties of the pirate drones that spawn there increases. Also, systems with a lower security have a higher chance of having officer and commander spawns. (This is especially important with regard to PvE combat in 0.0 space, as pirate drone spawns in -1.0 space are better than spawns in -0.1 space.)
- 0.5 - 1.0: Frigate-class pirate drones spawn in asteroid belts and at gates.
- 0.1 - 0.4: Both cruiser-class and frigate-class pirate drones spawn in asteroid belts and at gates.
- 0.0: Battleship-class, cruiser-class, and frigate-class drones spawn in asteroid belts and at gates.
- 0.9 - 1.0: No structures may be anchored.
- 0.4 - 0.8: Containers may be anchored.
- 0.0 - 0.3: Player Owned Starbases and Containers may be anchored.
Restricted Systems Edit
Players that have low security status provoke a police drone response when going into systems with a high security status. The thresholds for provoking a police drone response are follows:
- 1.0: -2.0 and lower.
- 0.9: -2.5 and lower.
- 0.8: -3.0 and lower.
- 0.7: -3.5 and lower.
- 0.6: -4.0 and lower.
- 0.5: -4.5 and lower.
- 0.0-0.4: No restrictions.