Datacores are earned by having an R&D agent perform research for you. In order for the agent to perform research, you need to have a high enough standing with the agent's corporation to talk to the agent as well as have one of the science skills (such as Mechanical Engineering ) that the agent knows. Once the agent starts working for you, you'll accumulate research points (RP) for that agent. You can then use points to buy datacores.
The formula for determining the amount of RP earned per day is:
RpPerDay = ((AgentLevel + ScienceSkill)^2 * (1 + (EffectiveQuality / 100))) * AreaBonus
- RpPerDay: How many research points you get in 24 hours.
- AgentLevel: The agents level (Range from 0 to 5)
- ScienceSkill: The level you have the required science skill trained to for this agent/field (ex. Graviton Physics)
- EffectiveQuality: The quality of the agent. Note: this is after your skills are added, so it is possible to get above 20.
- AreaBonus: Depends on the research field. Most fields have a modifier of 1, weapon related research is 2, and ship research is 3.
The three ways to improve the number of RP gained are:
- Increase the related science skill
- Increase the Effective Quality of the agent by improving your standing with the agent's corporation
- Increase the Effective Quality of the agent through skills such as Negotiation and Connections
Datacores are used during the Invention process to create Tech 2 blueprints. Most Tech 1 can be used to invent new items. The blueprint will list which datacores and data interface are needed. Once you install these items in an invention slot at a station or a POS, the invention job will start and you will have a chance to create a Tech 2 blueprint.
There are 18 types of datacore:
|Datacore||Area of Use|
|Datacore - Amarrian Starship Engineering||Amarr Starships|
|Datacore - Caldari Starship Engineering||Caldari Starships|
|Datacore - Electromagnetic Physics||Electronic Warfare, Railguns|
|Datacore - Electronic Engineering||Electronic Warfare, Webbers, Scramblers, Drones|
|Datacore - Gallentean Starship Engineering||Gallente Starships, ORE Starships|
|Datacore - Graviton Physics||Cloaking, Webbers, Scramblers|
|Datacore - High Energy Physics||Energy Systems, Laser Weapons|
|Datacore - Hydromagnetic Physics||Shield Systems, Armor/Hull|
|Datacore - Laser Physics||Laser Weapons, Mining Lasers|
|Datacore - Mechanical Engineering||Repair Systems, Starships, Railguns, Blasters, Projectiles, Mining Lasers, Missile Launchers, Drones|
|Datacore - Minmatar Starship Engineering||Minmatar Starships|
|Datacore - Molecular Engineering||Armor/Hull, Propulsion Systems|
|Datacore - Nanite Engineering||Armor/Hull, Repair Systems|
|Datacore - Nuclear Physics||Projectiles|
|Datacore - Plasma Physics||Blasters|
|Datacore - Quantum Physics||Cloaking, Energy Systems, Shield Systems|
|Datacore - Rocket Science||Propulsion Systems, Missile Launchers|